It turns out that the whole acting and Entourage thing is just a front for who Adrian Grenier really is: a massive aching heart that throbs for the Earth and its ocean.
Adrian, 38, had everyone fooled with his shallow character Vince Chase, the lead in TV show and soon-to-be released movie Entourage. In his other life Adrian is a powerhouse for good supporting non-profits such as Charity: Water, which digs water wells in impoverished nations, and Oceana, which works to protect oceans.
Adrian is also working on a documentary project 52: The Search For the Loneliest Whale in the World. The feature length film centers on a mysterious whale that is said to sing at a different frequency to other whales – 52 hertz – making it unable to communicate with its own kind.
Sign up for Azula’s newsletter to bring the latest ocean news and crazy-cute animal videos straight to your inbox.
1. Look at Adrian’s hair. Now look at the whale’s spout. Adrian’s hair. The whale’s spout. Isn’t that cute?
See this Instagram photo by @adriangrenier * 3,540 likes
2. The expression on Adrian’s face as he releases a pelican back into the wild is comparable to a kid at his first ever sight of snow.
What a magical experience to be able to set this beautiful bird free [email protected] Who can’t relate, who doesn’t understand the need to be free? I appreciate how fragile wildlife animals are & Gr8ful for volunteers @IntBirdRescue & @TMMC for giving thousands a new chance at life in the wild. #dawndayinthewildlife #worldanimalday14
See this Instagram photo by @adriangrenier * 3,793 likes
3. Adrian passes on the sexy title to scientist Grace Calvert Young, an ocean engineer and explorer who studies the glamorous world of ocean sponges.
#aquaman finds Aquagirl @calvertyoung – A hot, aquanaut scientist who is studying how reef sponges clean our oceans. #ScienceIsSexy #aquaman #entouragemovie #mission31
See this Instagram photo by @adriangrenier * 5,293 likes
4. Adrian visualizes the number one travel rule: Leave only footprints.
Come on everyone, let’s not leave a footprint of waste and carelessness. #reduce #reuse #recycle #reengage in caring for our beaches and oceans. @oceana
See this Instagram photo by @adriangrenier * 9,537 likes
5. After suiting up for a dive down to underwater laboratory Aquarius in Florida Keys, Adrian sends some love to French filmmaker Fabien Cousteau who spent 31 days there.
I am going on a dive tom with @fcousteau to the only underwater marine habitat in the world for @missionthirtyone where he will live under water for 31 days, a world record! Congrats to @chlo_ayyy who was the first to answer exactly. But so many others were close or had the right spirit of ocean conservation so giving a few shoutouts too kmx182 @danielleelizabethcook @deanna_fo @emilyaliselem @rronbaraku @tyrossutt @kttoole @dweezy_baby @cunninghamryan @nickbird77 @daniksh @sbarutcu @tedread @kranzellie @xanaredux @asinger123 @ezanddaddys @courtneyniemi @themoffatt @mrsjweil @jonntv @angelalaalaaaa @mikiemike @hypnojenn @asra_elahi7 @zeke_mcrorie @seanp630 @biancaviscusi @aquinoness @tiffanimarie25 @kmx182 @dro_bot @paigerudzin @jd1800 @dorianmunroe @tcarr42 @brettsuite @manuelgalan_
See this Instagram photo by @adriangrenier * 2,868 likes
6. Adrian is forever pondering the new project “52.” He even sees the documentary’s subject, the lonely whale, reflected in distant planets.
This picture of Jupiter from @nasa resembles the eye of @lonelywhale – could you imagine floating in the middle of space, all alone? #lonelywhale
See this Instagram photo by @adriangrenier * 2,102 likes
7. Whether it’s a suit for the red carpet or a wetsuit, Adrian oozes swagger.
See this Instagram photo by @adriangrenier * 6,844 likes
8. Adrian sends some admiration to Hannah Fraser, who is a model, fashion photographer, ocean conservationist, artist and occasional mermaid.
Guys, go follow @hannahmermaid to see how she survived dancing with sharks (no protective gear, just fearlessness) Incredible.
See this Instagram photo by @adriangrenier * 3,868 likes
9. Sharing a joke. Making a point. And the fact that he came across this researching is even better. Not just a pretty face.
Doing some more research on our relationship to marine mammals and ocean health. Came across this for #mememondays and remembering that #lonleywhale
See this Instagram photo by @adriangrenier * 5,866 likes
10. This guy not only cares about disconnected whales, but about disconnected mothers and children.
On this #MothersDay I can’t help but think of the #lonelywhale named “52” floating out there without his pod, unable to connect with his mom. For those out there who are feeling similarly disconnected or missing a loved one, know that we all share your struggle; our hearts expand to include you into our families. Please reach out to all moms, non-biological moms and those that may be estranged from their loved ones and show then some love and affection.
See this Instagram photo by @adriangrenier * 5,102 likes