Tattoos can say a lot about a person. So, if you're someone who loves the ocean, you may want to express that in your ink. But, maybe you want to go beyond the simplistic wave tattoo or beloved ocean animal. Quote tattoos can say a lot in only a few words, and you get to pick a font that really suits your style. Plus, you can combine your love for words and water in one beautiful piece of art. Here are the 18 best ocean quotes for tattoos. The hardest part is choosing.
1. "Sometimes in the waves of change we find our true direction." —Unknown
This quote doesn't seem to have an attributable author, possibly because it started as "the winds of change," rather than the waves. But it works just as well with the watery substitute.
2. "Just keep swimming." —Dory
This "Finding Nemo" quote may have started as just a funny line, but it carries a strong message of perseverance with it.
3. "If the ocean can calm itself, so can you." —Nayyirah Waheed
It's true. All storms eventually settle.
4. "The sea lives in every one of us." —Robert Wyland
Nothing brings people together like a mutual love for the ocean.
5. "If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water." —Loren Eiseley
And magical it is.
6-7. "I come back to the water, no matter how hard I try." Plus: "See the line where the sky meets the sea? It calls me." —Moana
"How Far I'll Go" is filled with tattoo-worthy lyrics.
8. "She Is Tossed by the Waves, But Does Not Sink." —Paris' Motto
The French city has a beautiful motto. You could also get it as a tattoo in its original iteration: "Fluctuat nec mergitur."
9. "When this world's too much, it will be only the ocean and me." —Jack Johnson
This relatable line comes from his song "Only the Ocean."
10. "She smiled at the ocean because the waves told her story." —R.M. Drake
This poem speaks to us.
11. "Every time I slip into the ocean, it's like going home." —Sylvia Earle
Wise words from a marine biologist.
12. "You are not a drop in the ocean; you are the entire ocean in one drop." —Rumi
And together we build a sea.
13. "Dream higher than the sky and deeper than the ocean." —Unknown
A great reminder.
14. "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." —Jon Kabat-Zinn
Or, as some might say, "A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."
15. "I have sea foam in my veins, for I understand the language of waves." —"Le Testament d'Orphee"
This movie quote from 1960 is beautiful.
16. "We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came." —John F. Kennedy
Even the former president understands the importance of the ocean.
17. "Dance with the waves, move with the sea. Let the rhythm of the water set your soul free." —Christy Ann Martine
We could all do well to channel the movement of the ocean.
18. "My demons tried to drown me, but they didn't know I could breathe underwater." —Jordan Sarah Weatherhead
Don't let anyone keep you down. You're all as strong as the sea.